The flight over was great. The kids were excited to be on an airplane for the flight from Detroit to Atlanta. So they were wide awake and taking it all in. They loved how everything started look like ants and that we were up in the clouds, like the birds. Our second flight took off from Atlanta at 7:15pm. It couldn't have been more perfect. The kids watched a movie, ate dinner, watched a little more movie, and the laid their seat all the way down and fell right asleep. They woke up with about 3 hours left of the flight and of course they ate again and watched more movies.
When we arrived we were greeted at the airport by Aaron's boss with a cell phone and a map. They had arranged a van to take us to our temp housing. Luckily, they were able to fit all 9 suitcases as well as us in that van. The suitcases were filled to the top but they made it!
Later that night it was around 10 pm and I started to get really tired, as well as everyone else. I kept thinking this was way too easy but we got everyone dressed for bed and laid down. We all fell asleep...but then we all woke up around 12am. So we were sitting in our driveway, trying to reach the wifi, with the kids pretending to be airplanes down the strip of colored lights. I have since found out that no one heard us out there...which is amazing. We finally went back to bed at 4 am and made ourselves wake up at 9:30. We were tired but we ventured out to the mall and explored a little.
The next day we went house hunting. That was an adventure in and of itself. I think I got overwhelmed by house number 5, the kids checked out at house 4, but our realtor was bound and determined that we were going to see 7 houses. The houses are different here. They are built with brick in the middle of the wall and cement as the walls. The floor is cement with tile over it and very, very few houses had carpet. The houses, generally, do not have a/c or heat. Neither does our temporary house. There have been a few nights that have been really hard because it's been really hot. Right now though, it's really nice and cool. Perfect for opening up the house and letting that breeze in.
We didn't find a house our first day. Although, I'm sure you've heard I really liked a house on the golf course. We ended up picking a house that was more in our budget and it just shouts "I'm a home, not just a house." Hopefully by the 29th or 30th we can move in!
Here are some pictures of the first few weeks.
This is where we are staying now...and hopefully not much longer. Kylie took this picture!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this picture! Josh was so funny after getting off the airplane. He had no idea that the flight attendant had given him such cool stuff for the plane trip over. So, before he went to bed that first night, he put on everything he had! Who knew that this stuff was sooo exciting??? Note the blind fold and slippers.

I think Ky is a little tired here...

Our lovely room!

Here is Josh's 1st grade classroom. In case you were wondering, he's in Ms. Carole's class.

Josh's playground..soccer field is off to the right and the swimming pool is on the left. You can see the gate to the pool in the picture.

Circle time! They have it every morning at 8am. They introduce new students, go over the agenda for the day and most importantly, what's for lunch!

The outside of Ky's school. You have to go down a long alley that is not marked to find this place. It took us a while but I guess I'd rather have them safe.

Here is my little Pre-K girl. She was so excited to go to school. She still asks...Mom, can I go to school tomorrow!

Just so you know...my kids do not go to school here!
2 comments:
I WANNA TEACH AT THAT SCHOOL! Will they have any openings in August?!?!?!?!
Just found your latest pictures, and have looked at them and read your notes about them over and over again. How I love the pictures of the kids ... and the rest of the pictures help us be able to visualize where you are when we hear stories about everyone's experiences over there. Had to smile at the pic of Josh in his flight gear. Kylie looks so excited and happy with her little backpack all ready for school. Thanks sooo much for taking the time to share all of this with us, Marianne!
Post a Comment